Wednesday, 23 November 2011
Wednesday, 2 November 2011
Last night I made my first ever Gumbo (vegan gumbo at that!)
I had always shied away from making Gumbo as it is normally made with meat and seafood (and I'm a vegetarian.)
However, my veggie friend made a fantastic vegetarian one and I thought I would give it a bash, I must admit I did not follow a recipe, I looked at a few for inspiration and then made it up as I went along.
- First mix equal amounts of vegetable/olive oil and flour together over a medium to high heat to make a brown rue. (I probably used about 1/3 of a cup of each.)
- Next chop in large chucks/slices 2 red onions, 2 cloves of garlic and 3 sticks of celery. Fry these off in the rue for around 7 minutes.
- Whilst the onion, garlic and celery are frying prepare 4 cups of veggie stock (1 stock cube per 2 cups of hot water) and chop 1 green bell pepper, 4 spring onions, 1 pack of okra.
- After the 7 minutes, add the stock and then all these spices...
- ... 3 bay leaves, 2+ tablespoons of cayenne pepper, paprika, chili powder, Cajun mix (chili powder, oregano, dried garlic, dried onion, black pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, dried chilies), oregano, thyme, sage, black pepper, dried chilies, 4 tablespoons of vegetarian Worcestershire sauce, 1 chopped green chili.
- Then add the remainder of the chopped veg and add some sweetcorn (optional) and add 3 chopped vegetarian/vegan sausages of your choice.
- Then add enough brown rice to feed 2-4 people.
- Let it cook for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Add more spices to taste if you feel it needs it.
Take out the bay leaves and enjoy :)
Tuesday, 1 November 2011
... Looked like this!
Friday evening was spent at a Celebrity face mask themed birthday pub crawl!
I was Nigella Lawson :)
I was up until 2am Friday night, then up at 6am Saturday morning caring, baking and sewing for our Halloween Party Saturday night (I made my costume and parts of OH's) I finally finished my patchwork dress in my lunch break at work on Saturday :)
Happy Halloween :)