Monday 5 March 2012

Meat Free Monday - Tempeh

This week I tried something new for Meat Free Monday...

Tempeh
"Tempeh is a soy product traditionally from Indonesia .
It is made by incubating cooked soya beans wit the Rhizopu Oligosporus culture. This grows through the beans binding them into a solid block.
Organic tempeh contains all the amino acids essential for good health. It is rich in protein, a valuable source of B vitamins, calcium and iron, and yet dairy, salt and gluten free!"

I am surprised it has taken me this long to try it.


I cooked it up in a broccoli and red pepper stir fry with sweet potato and buck wheat noodles.


I have to admit tempeh was not at all how I expected, to start with I didn't think I was going to like it but it grew on me. I thought it would have a similar texture to Tofu and a slightly "meaty" taste but it had a much softer texture than tofu and what I can only describe as a nutty flavour. In hindsight I may not put it in this dish again (or cook it differently if I do) but I definitely would like to cook tempeh again, maybe trying baking it. So anyone with some great recipes I'd love to hear them!

No comments: