Saturday 30 January 2010

Featured Artist : Moonstr

As promised (even if it is a little late) I have reintroduced my Featured Artist Posts and I shall be starting with a wonderful artist named Anna or Moonstr, who created the lovely banner for My Etsy Shop.

1. Tell us a bit about yourself?
I'm a secretary by day and paint flinger by night, I'm 36 going on 15.
I prob day dream way too much. i get my hair done for trade with my art.
I've had a few gallery shows. one coming up in Seattle I'm excited about.
I just did a lil aceo with my menstruation blood and I'm still working on it.
Ive made a lil sculpture out of finger nails. I have 2 kitties and a bf of 12 years.

2. What first made you want to become an artist/designer?
I think it was when i was 2-3 and got my first crayons. I have been drawing ever since. use to get yelled at to stop drawing in church. Then protested at 5 that I would rather
be drawing instead of being in church. My dad was not happy about that. 9 I drew a nude
of a woman and my dad asked if I was a lesbian. My family has never really supported
me when it came to art.
After adolescence, I was in many bands, I came up with art for stickers and t-shirts,
I did zines, had an art show in a cafe where one piece got stolen.
then had a bf told me why don't you just put on music and paint all the time.
So i have ever since. I paint more for me.

3. Could describe your creative process?
Its either sketched out a bit with pencil, or i just jump into it.
So constructed, or chaos:)
I have to be in the mood, the min it feels like work, I stop, I never want my art
to feel like work. With sewing i don't measure anything.

4. What handmade possession do you most cherish?
The very first doll I made i still have her:) 3 legged one eyed alien mama.
also all my journals and art journals and so many art pieces I have gotten
off of Etsy love them all:) and my doll collection and aceo collection.

5. How do you promote your work?
I don't really promote myself. i find it tiresome, and needy, and spammy.
only thing I do is be funny and snarky in the Etsy forums, chat rooms also, and I'm on
Flickr~there are some really cool Etsy based groups on Flickr.also Myspace, Indiepublic, Artbistro. but really im on Etsy soooo much more than anything else.

6. What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy/selling art?
Make what you love, put your heart and passion into it. patience is key
and keep at it. List often, renew when you can. Ask questions, be part of the community.
lurk in the forums and you learn lots of things. and never spam. so many people are
turned off by spam, including me. I state that in my announcements that if you spam
me in any way i will not buy from you.
7. In 10 years I would like to be...
Hmm good question. I just wanna be happy.

No comments: