Thursday 18 December 2008

Featured Seller: Marmalady

This week I wanted to feature a fellow UK seller and I couldn't think of anyone better than the lovely Marmalady, whom I frequently talk to on a friday night :)

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am from the UK -- the Peak District of Derbyshire which is about halfway up the country as you look at a map.I am 56, married for 31 years, with 2 grown-up children. Neither are married yet so no grandchildren on the horizon for quite a while!
2. What made you start creating and selling yummy treats?
Baking / cooking. I have been cooking "forever". Growing up in a family of 4 kids, money was always short -- so Mum always made all our own bread, cakes , jam etc -- and we were all expected to help -- the boys as well as the girls. By the time I was 10 or 11 I could cook a sunday dinner for the family with very little help or supervision.
Selling my baking came about when I was at home with a toddler & baby. A friend was involved with a co-operative market stall selling cakes and so I joined too. At first I only made small quantities but as the kids grew and I had more time, the amounts I was able to make for sale grew too. I continued selling through this market untill a couple of years ago when it folded and I branched out into having my own stall at various Farmers Markets -- I am out at a Market most weeks. For several years now I have also been supplying a local shop with cakes & marmalades every few weeks. So my Etsy shop is just a continuation of what I am doing most days anyway and it is easy to fit in baking my Etsy orders along with my market / shop baking.
3. How do you promote your work?
On Etsy I am active in the forums. I also have flickr, facebook, (neglected) blog, twitter Off-line I give out contact & market details at all the markets I attend.
4. In ten years I'd like to be...
Retired! but probably still crafting for my other shop, Marmaladytoo.etsy.com

Check out some of her yummy items:

http://www.marmalady.etsy.com/

No comments: