Thursday 20 November 2008

Featured Designer: PerfectLittlePurses

I have decided to post about an artist or designer I would like to feature every Thursday, to make a change.

This week I shall be starting with a bespoke handbag designer under the shop name PerfectLittlePurses. She also happen's to be my Mum :)


What first made you want to start making handbags?
I had a dream about loads of differnt handbags. All of them black but every single design possible and I just thought I should be making bags!

Describe your creative process.
Usually all starts with the fabric. I will see some I "have to have" and then set about finding a co-ordinate for the lining. This normally leads to several more. Once it all arrives I will decide which fabrics lend themselves to which designs I do. Sometimes they lead to new ones. Sometimes I design around new handles. Its mostly all about the fabric. My not so secret obsession.

What handmade possession do you most cherish?
Of my own hand, it has to be my kitty bag which was my first bag I ever made myself and the beginning of the whole Perfect Purse Company.
Of some one elses hand, it would be my pendant made by Elysian Fields and purchased by yourself. This is because it was bought by you and bought from a person that although I have never met, helped me through a truly difficult time. It is also so me its untrue.

Name your top five books, movies, songs/musical groups, and web sites besides Etsy.
Alan Titchmarsh - Only Dad , its not gardening, it truly made me cry, laugh and never want to put it down. I have read all his novels and they really are good.
Winifred Scott - Girl Castaways- this is a kids book but has stuck with me all my life. So good.
Delia Smiths Book of Cakes - I am not a geat reader but this comes off the shelf so often it had to go in.
On holiday this year I read The Rise and Fall of a Yummy Mummy and Hollys Inbox. Good holiday reads. As I said I am not a great book reader but read so many non-fiction magazines its untrue.
Music wise I love rock music.
I like OLD Bon Jovi - the new stuff sucks ( sorry Jon, but it does), Europe, Whitenake and all the old stuff. Newer stuff I love anything Danny Vaughn does and have a new repect for Disturbed, to the point it cannot leave my car's Cd player. All rock and metal really.

What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?
Keep at it, never give up and promote, promote promote. Believe in yourself and your product and that confidence will come through in your work.
Here are some examples of her work:



No comments: